Monday, October 24, 2011

Three and Out - Week Nine

(1) Note - I had ridiculous problems with the streaming video.

Regarding the game on Saturday, what can I say that hasn't been repeated already? I wanted an undefeated streak at the end of this run through the Southland teams, and I thought this team had it in them. Sadly, we remain fully reminded that the Bobcats are a work in progress. Say goodbye to Hammond. The next time Texas State is scheduled to play in the state of Louisiana is their first trip to Ruston for a WAC game against Louisiana Tech in 2013.

Before I get too critical, it seemed like that was Southeastern's best game of the year. I know they gave up over 500 yards but their quarterback looked pretty good and Simmie Yarborough is now their all-time leading receiver. Former Longhorn (and all around felonious guy) Brandon Collins had a nice little game as well as senior Kory Theodore.

I don't see how a team can win many games on the road putting the ball on the rug twice while the defense allows at least a touchdown in each quarter and causes no turnovers of their own. 4-14 on third down and 1-4 on fourth down, too? I get that much of that comes from trying to come back in the fourth quarter, but still. This was against a team whose only previous victory was against a 1-6 MEAC school. What about the two turnovers by Rutherford and Lopez? One fumble in 45 running plays toward the end of the game is borderline acceptable. The kickoff return fumble was more aggravating. It was a ten point swing in less than a minute.

Congratulations go out to Terrance Franks for his monstrous 234 yards on only 24 carries. That's 9.8 yards a carry with two touchdowns.

In other news, Texas State led Texas Tech in Lubbock 10-9 at the half. Tech led Oklahoma, ranked 3rd on Saturday, 24-7 at the half en route to a 41-38 victory in Norman. Tech is Texas State's home opener in 2012 and the Bobcats just lost to Southeastern Louisiana. Just a little food for thought.

(2) I guess until Realignment Madness ends, this is where I talk about what I hear is going on. Yesterday I heard that the Big East was presented a proposal that had a 32 team national mega-conference. The Big East would take their schools plus Navy, Louisiana Tech, San Jose State, and Temple and merge them with the new Conference-USA/MWC football conference. West Virginia was not included as the CUSA/MWC representatives that put it together believe they are going to the Big 12.

This is a very bad development for Texas State, but then I heard there was also a 28 team version that removed the four teams I listed earlier. I didn't know how much to read into this until I heard the Boston Globe published a story on this exact same new dilemma. I guess it's not just a wild rumor but I am still checking with my people to figure out what is going on.

I still think they'll make a go of taking Boise, Air Force, SMU, Houston, UCF and Navy and the plan I just mentioned is a non-BCS pipe dream.

(3) Around the top 25:

Kansas State 35, Oklahoma 32

Georgia Tech 27, Clemson 21

Michigan State 24, Nebraska 17

Penn State 20, Illinois 19

Around the state:

Houston 45, Rice 17 (This is the televised Thursday game on ESPN - FYI)

Texas A&M 41, Missouri 37

Oklahoma State 55, Baylor 35

Texas 50, Kansas 10

Texas Tech 49, Iowa State 27

SMU 38, Tulsa 30

Southern Miss 28, UTEP 17

TCU 24, BYU 21 (Televised Friday game on ESPN)

Arkansas State 38, North Texas 21

Around the WAC:
Louisiana Tech 31, San Jose State 25

Hawaii 45, Idaho 14

Nevada 38, New Mexico State 21

No comments:

Post a Comment